Saturday, November 14, 2015

#ParisAttack

The first thing I do is look for a final body count.
Forty dead, hostages at a concert. 
One hundred dead.  Two explosions
at a stadium.
Patrons of restaurants picked off.  One hundred
twenty dead.
Over 150.  The concert raid is over.

As if a number will help me negotiate my reaction;
is this a small, medium, large, or super-size
terroristic attack? 
I don’t feel anything.

Pictures, show me pictures.  Show me blood
in the streets, show me the faces of the bereaved.
I want to see the hostages coming out of the concert,
the stadium explode.  But then,
this image:

a body, outside a restaurant, a sheet over it,
her arm exposed, a bit of pretty jewelry
on a lifeless wrist.
I am in Paris, on that Rue,
crying at that dead woman with the sparkle
who was enjoying a Friday night out
and died for…what?

Meinke, where are you?  Where are the better poets
who see the cause-and-effect of political war from the street level,
who have better ways of describing the empathy
I tried to feel.
Here are the bodies of the good
people who died before hero came, and into the night
flees the “giant ogre dragon troll.”  Tell them how to
temper my their desire for revenge
and not attach it to the first available hooligan
some government props up as the Enemy.

I cannot feel anything.
I cry for insensitivity
because I know
on Earth, 150 dead Parisians
is a drop in the bucket as far as body counts go,

and I don’t want to cry that much this morning.

No comments: